Tuesday, July 08, 2008

A Walk in the Woods

I read A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson very quickly and I've been quoting him ever since.

It is a great and funny book and I can't believe I didn't read it sooner. If you like hiking or being outdoors or just find humor in the idea of someone attempting to hike the Appalachian Trail, it's a must read.

I found myself alternating between laughing out loud and worrying about Bill and his hiking companion. Luckily, all ended well! Bryson also mixes in history and background on the trail and the environment which adds another level of interest.

Plus it gives you a true appreciation when you are hiking .7 miles of the trail. I don't think I'll ever hike as much of it as Bryson did, but I do want to hike more of the little bits I've accomplished so far.

2 comments:

Sip said...

so i just wandered over here....
i actually bought this and meant to read it on my trip - but didn't take it (had to cut back on pack weight...how ironic) - anyway, i have a few more of his books - the only one i have read so far was I'm A Stranger Here Myself - a collection of columns he wrote for a magazine on nuances of American life, from the perspective of an American repatriate. i'll admit that at times, he is a bit liberal for me...i just read faster through those parts...lol

Susan said...

A sister-coincidence...I am reading the Lost Continent by Bill Bryson right now. I thought it would be funnier, but maybe it will pick up as I get through more of it. Or, maybe I should have picked up Walk in the Woods instead!