Saturday, October 10, 2009

Goldengrove

For reasons I can't explain, I have never read a book by Francine Prose. I have read her short stories and articles, I have Reading Like a Writer but I had never read one of her novels. With that in mind, I picked up Goldengrove and after finishing it I am asking myself, what was I waiting for?

Prose is fabulous and Goldengrove is a wonderfully crafted story. The story explores what happens when a family loses a child. At 17, Margaret is the center of the family - she loves old movies, has a scholarship to study music - so when she dies tragically, her younger sister, Nico, and her parents struggle to deal with their grief and move on. However, the story isn't overly emotional or sentimental, it focuses more on the desire to hold on to the pieces of the person you have lost and how you live without them.

No comments: