Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Glass Castle

For a long time, I wasn't interested in reading The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls. I think I had read too many memoirs and I was tired of all the "poor me" stories, but after hearing some interviews with the author about her new book, I decided I should listen to the people who recommended it and give it a shot.

Now I can't get it out of my mind. My work as a Guardian Ad Litem exposes me to the lives of people who struggle, but this book was something else all together. The life this child and her siblings experienced is unbelievable and the fact that her parents chose that life for them is even more amazing. But what is truly remarkable is the success Jeanette has experienced despite a childhood of constantly moving, of living in a house with no indoor plumbing and not always being enrolled in school. If you are going to have eccentric parents, it's best that they be voracious readers and encourage inquisitiveness.

Still, the book is well written and is definitely worth getting over an aversion to memoirs to experience.

1 comment:

Ingrid said...

I read and enjoyed this book as well. At the time I read it I think I too was a bit tired of the "poor me" memoirs as you say, so actually I didn't finish the very end. But it is a fascinating life and she does seem quite normal depite her crazy childhood.