Saturday, December 05, 2009

Juliet, Naked

Nick Hornby's newest novel, Juliet, Naked, keeps with Hornby's style, but I just didn't love it. None of the characters were the least bit sympathetic and I really didn't care what happened to the aging rocker who quit performing 20 years ago and whose one positive attribute is fathering his youngest son after ignoring all his other children with various women nor did I care about the go-nowhere couple in a remote seaside town in England who spend much of their lives trying to find an answer to why the rocker quit.

The most interesting character was Jackson, the aging rockers son, who is sensitive and fears that his father will die and leave him - a valid concern considering his age and the way he has treated his other children.

I was happy when the book ended so I could send these cast of characters back to their sad, pathetic lives and out of mine.

No comments: