Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Half Broke Horses

Half Broke Horses by Jeanette Walls was our February book club selection. Now that we've had our meeting, I can post my review :)

I liked it. It was a quick read and interesting. It was one of those stories I found myself thinking of after it was finished. It is characterized as a "true-life novel" though I think of it more of a fictionalized memoir.

Walls writes the story of his grandmother, Lily, and her childhood growing up in the frontier west. She is a driven, tough as nails woman. Her story was compelling, yet there was something missing. I wanted a little more emotion, a little more feeling. Even though she had to be strong, there was still room for exploring some deeper thoughts, especially since Walls chose to write it in first person narrative and make it fiction.

No comments: