Monday, June 07, 2010

Steig Larsson Novels

I've become a Stieg Larsson fan in the past few months. I had read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo last year and while I enjoyed it, the Swedish politics and economic details were a bit hard to slog through.

However, I liked it enough that when The Girl who Played with Fire came out in paperback I picked it up. I have to say, it was my favorite of the three books (yes, I'm giving it away - I've read the Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest). Played with Fire has the quickest pace and the best plot and you learn answers to many of the questions about Lisbeth Salander you had from the first book.

Ending with a cliff hanger seemed so unfair, but it ensured that I was ready to buy the Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest as soon as it came out - in hardcover - at the end of May.

Like the first novel, the Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest contains a lot of details on Swedish politics and the legal system, yet it's easier to get through as you are pulled along to find out the fate of Salander and Blomkvist.

What makes the novels even more interesting is the after life of Larsson who died before they were published and without a will. Now the only question that remains is, will a fourth novel ever be published.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/23/magazine/23Larsson-t.html?scp=1&sq=stieg%20larsson&st=cse

No comments: