Sunday, October 17, 2010

Zeitoun

Zeitoun by Dave Eggers was our book club book for September. I was reluctant to read a story about Katrina (I think I avoid books that feel like they are capitalizing on a national tragedy), but this was Dave Eggers so I should have known better than to be worried.

All the proceeds from the book go to various organizations related to New Orleans or that are important to the Zeitoun family and Eggers does an amazing job of telling a story of terrible injustice.

The Zeitoun's lived in New Orleans for years, are Muslim and have a family contracting and painting business. Abdulrahman, the father and a Syrian-American, has much to lose and take care of, so he sends his wife and children out of the city while he stays behind as the storm threatens.

His days before and after the storm are calmer than you would expect, but once the levees break, life for Zeitoun changes. Eventually, he is arrested along with 3 other men and held in horrendous conditions. They are never clearly charged, never told why they are being held - there are indications that someone thought that were terrorists.

I was horrified that this treatment occurred in this country and glad in the end that I read this story and that it was brought to me in the capable hands of Eggers.

No comments: