Saturday, January 19, 2008

Away

The bookstore near my office was having their yearly 40% after holiday sale, so I picked up a couple of books that I've been wanting to read but was waiting for the paperbacks. Luckily, I didn't have to wait until spring to read Away by Amy Bloom.

I'm only half way through the book, but it's great so far. It's easy to get caught up in this book -which is great during a "snowy" weekend!

After Lillian's entire family was brutally murdered in Russia, she ends up in New York living as a seamstress and mistress. She is told that her daughter, Sophie, isn't actually dead so she heads to Siberia to find her. Lillian has just made her journey across the US and is in Seattle, trying to get back the money that was stolen from her so that she can continue her journey....I'm hooked :)

1 comment:

Susan said...

Hooray! Mrs. Sherman's blog has re-emerged. Honestly, I didn't think you had kept it going. I promise to be a dedicated reader for now on. Already have a few new books to look for!

By the way, fellow readers of Joanna's blog, I can vouch for my sister's excellent taste in books. Based on her recommendations, I continue to pick the "perfect" book as gifts for friends and colleagues.