Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

Everyone I know is reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot, but it had been on my list for a while (since my sister asked for it at Christmas) and I'm glad I was able to borrow a copy from a friend.

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks traces the history of the HeLa cells - cells that were taken from Henrietta Lacks and then were used to study and find cures for all sorts of diseases.

Skloot does a great job making the science digestable and weaving in the story of the Lacks family. She is fair to everyone - doctors, the family members - even when some bad stuff was going on and clearly put a lot of time and energy into tracing every part of the story.

I learned a lot while enjoying myself and would recommend this book to friends (I already have).

1 comment:

Ingrid said...

Yes I read this too and thought it was fantastic. I heard the author talk with Terry Gross soon after the book's release and bought it that day.